The Meetings Manager oversees the development, management, and execution of the events of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP). Events include the SPSP annual convention, related pre-conference sessions, Board of Directors Meetings Logistics and the Summer Psychology Forum. The annual convention attracts more than 3,600 attendees and has a budget size of over $1,000,000. The Meetings Manager regularly collaborates with the Program Manager to ensure that the programmatic and educational goals are being met.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties that occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job)
- Oversee the development, planning and execution of SPSP’s annual convention and preconference workshops to include space assignment, food and beverage, signage, room setup, and audio-visual needs.
- Manage planning and support with logistics for Board of Director and Task Force meetings, as assigned
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop and execute convention marketing plan
- Create and manage website content for the annual convention
- Manage site selection process for all assigned events and facilitate site visits
- Responsible for vendor evaluation, selection, and management to include general/exhibitor services, decorator, AV, printing, food and beverage, and telecommunications
- Coordinate, track, and manage hotel room blocks for approximately 3800 room nights per convention
- Assist in the development and management of event budgets and monitor throughout the year to ensure expenses and revenue are within budget guidelines
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately)
- Bachelor’s Degree; Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation preferred
- Minimum of three years of progressive experience planning conventions, conferences, and/or professional meetings, experience working in varied roles and work environments related to event planning welcomed (i.e. hospitality and/or catering)
- Demonstrated experience with budget management
- Prior experience with site selection, contract negotiations (hotels and vendors), and knowledge of meeting industry trends
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the demonstrated ability to multi-task and successfully manage high-stress situations
- High level of initiative, critical thinking, sound judgement and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
SPSP, located in Metro-accessible downtown Washington DC, is a small and staff-friendly professional society offering a comprehensive benefit package, including 4 weeks PTO, 11 paid holidays, 8% contribution to a 403b retirement, paid medical/dental/vision, flexible scheduling, shortened summer schedule, professional development funds, health and wellness stipend, and life insurance. Salary is commensurate with experience and is expected to be $50,000 – $55,000. SPSP leadership and staff are committed to a diverse workforce.
To apply for this position, visit https://spsp.wufoo.com/forms/meetings-manager/. For more information, contact Chad Rummel (firstname.lastname@example.org).